"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." -E.F. Schumacher

Search This Blog

2017-08-24

The First Weeks

It was only with great trepidation that the change to a fully nomadic life was embarked upon. Many difficult decisions had to be addressed, assessed, and finally either slain with prejudice or postponed with enthusiastic procrastination. Chief among them was plans to immediately begin an adventure much like an unfortunate Hobbit.
For years I had endured the struggle of moving in the direction of simplicity and modest means but found it difficult to eschew the extravagances foisted upon me by social pressures. I continued to drive the same tired vehicles, held together as much by force of will as by the required repairs. This blog itself was started at a time when switching to laptop from desktop and after losing convenient internet. I continued my wonder whether the technology of the time could further my approach to simplicity and nomadicism. It proved out, but my own inner censor prevented much of the logging of that process. I wonder now if it was mostly an incompatible schedule, which interfered with other aspects of my creative endeavors.
I am composing this from a shady campsite at Amicalola Falls. I am typing on a small Samsung tablet and my internet is through the hotspot on a matching smartphone. The water for my coffee and oatmeal was heated in a stainless tea kettle on a propane stove made by Coleman twenty years ago. In a footlocker to my left there is three weeks' worth of dry goods, I have water filters and other chemical means to make water potable. I have sufficient solar collectors to maintain my electronic devices and various batteries. The site does come with all the power and water I need, but I have the options should a site not have them readily available.
Life has consisted largely of driving hundreds of miles, as per plans. The first night was at a Dispersed Camping Area prior to entering Red River Gorge. The following days were at various campsites with either limited or no amenities, but the assets possessed made life comfortable. Trips were made back to civilization to raid WiFi and eat unhealthy food, only to return to camp, hike and eat camping rations. Other lodging was purchased when we felt the need for machinery to launder clothes and limitless clean water to contaminate with either soaps or other bodily soils.
Eventually we made our way to southern Illinois where the second part of our adventure plans placed us in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. We fought heat and humidity, but persevered. Special photographic filters had not been added to the list per the plan, but extra viewing glasses were on hand to create them with the addition of adhesive tape and things scavenged from the trash. That Saturday night I participated in a transformative activity wherein we walked barefoot upon a pathway of glowing coals of cedar. The eclipse came and went with a few hours devoted to observing and recording it. After this we watched all the others attendees of the festival flee to their social normative existences. Accordingly, we executed the third part of our plans, reducing and prepacking our camp.
I should mention that some time every day was set aside for creative pursuits. Whether that be photo or videography, other graphic arts or processing the photos and videos gathered previously. I do not find it possible to keep up with my collections yet, but it is just a matter of time.
Today's adventure will be the viewing of the falls, which I am presently preparing my equipment for. I would like to take a few longer exposures to capture the flow of the waterfall as a misty, dreamy blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment