"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." -E.F. Schumacher

Search This Blog

2017-08-14

In Every Ending, There is a Beginning

The struggle has been real. I've needed and wanted to relaunch this blog. Yes, again. As I sit here in Red River Gorge, I am reflecting on the things that had to happen to get me here.

This blog has always been about finding, learning to use and replacing outdated technology with newer. The aim being, to simplify and make more accessible a freer lifestyle. To be comfortable accomplishing frequent moves to take advantage of life's opportunities. To become nomadic if that was the desire.

To that end, the past several months have been spent quite literally shedding thousands of dollars of possessions. The purge was extensive and I would be remiss if I did not admit that it was painful. In the end, I feel as though I am close to answering, for myself, an important question. "What does one need to live?" Not just survive, but live. To go about the activities of life, and feeling fulfilled and satisfied.
Turning back time a little, allow me to explain an interest I had when younger. I liked camping, but my family always traveled in an RV of some sort. Us kids were evicted to tents when we parked. I asked a few times about carrying my tent into the woods a ways and my father bought me a copy of a popular magazine devoted to backpacking. The hook was set then and there. Unfortunately that was where parental support ended. I was able to collect some gear, but never everything I needed and requests to try what I had out fell on terrified ears. A class trip to dayhike a trail as part of a science lession didn't help. Soon the desire to hike was set aside because of the misguided expectation to chase the american dream.

About a year ago, while in existential crisis and psychotherapy, the desire to just go for a long walk came back. The topic of the Appalachian Trail came up. Research started, gear was accumulated from my extensive stocks and plans began to be made. One overnight trip later and I decided to jump on it with both feet. No halfway, quit the secure job, dump everything non-essential and go. I am a technology addict, so some things could not be parted. I am an amateur photographer and discovered vlogging. Seems hiking and those things go well together. I have a gift in writing, and morning or evening wordsmithing is also apropos.

To get ready and really decide I wanted to do such an undertaking I completed a section hike on the AT. I started just north of Harper's Ferry and ended on the morning of the sixth day at Pine Grove Furnace to take the half gallon challenge. As out of shape as I was, I still averaged decent miles, and after six days I was ready for a break, but not wanting to stop. Thus the die was cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment