"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." -E.F. Schumacher

Search This Blog

2017-08-28

Adapting to Florida

I have to say first, that I am not a lover of heat and humidity. That said, Florida is a very poor choice for me to attempt to live, especially as an outdoor enthusiast. On the other hand, it is so hot and I am sufficiently uncomfortable that eating is much more of a chore. Over the past couple years, as my depression worsened, eating made me feel better. While I did not balloon back up to my previous high weight, I did make an attempt at it, and the sixty pounds I put back on certainly adds to the discomfort. However, one of the last things I want to do now is eat, and when I finally do, my portions are much more moderate. Unfortunately the other part of the equation is activity and all I want is shade and a fan while sweat beads up and rolls down my arms.

 Fauna have been entertaining so far. We are currently camped on a little hill which seems to be riddled with ant warrens. We sprinkled some diatomaceous earth around our temporarily claimed territory and they seem to be willing to accept the armistice for now. Our clothing is treated with permethrin and skin gets dusted with picaridin while citronella candles and scented plaques work to against the mosquitoes and ticks. Lizards scatter every time we head to the bathhouse, barred owls hoot at us and bullfrogs serenade from the cypress dome. The ground is soft enough I needed to sacrifice some tennis balls to put over the feet of my chair to stop me from sinking and falling over. A large tarp covers the screen house to help with the heavy rain. So far the Y style stakes are holding in the sandy soil just fine.

A tree, Spanish moss and sun combine for interesting shadows 

Driving is a different experience as well. Just the way things are laid out and traffic patterns are set isn't what I expect. On the drive down, it seemed like once we traveled out of the pit of diaspora which continually spewed from the DC/Baltimore area, there was a significant difference. While Atlanta had some traffic, it just seemed easier to deal with compared to the furious desparation I was accustomed to. Yes there were lane jumpers and the usual shenanigans you get when there is six or seven lanes of congested urban traffic. I want to say it felt more respectful. It was easier to maintain a decent distance between my car and the one in front, and other drivers responded to my turn signals with courtesy. 

When it came to stopping for comestibles or other needs even the people were helpful. Unlike the Martinsburg area where we were typically greeted with gruff "not my department" or other lowest common denominator service. I don't expect much, just some decency. The apparent short supply in that area was a deciding factor in this change of situation. Until moving away I only suspected how inhumane the area was.

No comments:

Post a Comment