"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction." -E.F. Schumacher

Search This Blog

2016-08-08

Morakniv aka Mora Knives

I have several as you can see, starting at the top they are:

Both Craftline knives have seen hard work, the black handled 510 sees use in the kitchen and replaced a paring knife. The red handled 511 is my box opener and a fresh spare is in my large medical kit. The classic 2/0 lives in a pencil jar next to pencils, pens, and hobby knives. I use it when the smaller knives are either just not long enough, or too fragile. I have not used either the Companion nor the Robust regularly. I believe the reputation of Morakniv is sufficient that I do not need to test them harshly. They are both destined to go into bug-out kits.
The Companion and Robust scabbards both have a clip on feature where they can be hooked over a belt or pantwaist. The slots on both sides of the button attachment also make a good place to thread a lanyard. I have attached the scabbard of the Companion to the scabbard of the Robust and it locks on very firmly. Most metal blue jean waist buttons also seem to the be same size, so any jacket with the extra buttons around the waist to cinch the bottom tighter can be an attachment point. All of the scabbards except the Classic 2/0's have drain holes in the bottom and a positive feeling click when the knife is inserted fully. The black handled 510 and the Classic 2/0 are ambidextrous. The Classic 2/0 is retained only by friction, and while it has not fallen out, I do not trust it not to without modification. I plan to use a heat gun to soften the plastic scabbard and increase the contact area.
This is a top down, showing how much thicker the blade is on the Robust. The handle is also significantly larger. I can get a much meatier grip on the Robust, my fingertips just touch my palm. With the Companion I have a fully wrapped grip. None of these knives have a sharp edge on the back for use with a firesteel, and in the case of the Robust is actually beveled. All knives were shaving sharp when I received them and resharpen readily. The scandi grind is a time-tested classic and so is the laminated blade construction. Several major high-end manufacturers also use a similar construction.

Like so many other things that come my way and I have the ability to spend a long time working with, Moras are a pleasant blend of old and new technologies that do not break the bank. All of these knives go for less than twenty dollars, and you have a choice of old school wood, impervious utilitarian plastic or rubberized composite handles. There are also stainless versions available now if you'd rather not watch your shiny blade acquire its own unique patina. They are often viewed as starter knives for budding outdoorspersons but they have a long history and there is no reason not to have a knife such as a Mora in your kit if they fit within your plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment